Editors & Post Production folks - where are we now and where do we think the industry is headed?

Options
Christopher McKee
Christopher McKee Member Posts: 2

Hello! I'm an editor in NYC with 12 years of experience cutting everything from narrative film, to digital series for major networks, to fashion/beauty adverts.

As we all know, things are slow- like really, really slow. I personally haven't worked since January. I know of multiple editors that haven't worked since last August.

I want to choose my words carefully, because I certainly don't want to promote any kind of fear-based hysteria about the state of our industry, but I do want to start a discussion with folks in our industry where we can help each other gain a little perspective about what is happening right now in a sort-of zoomed out, industry-wide way.

To start, here are some of the questions I've had recently:

-Are we just experiencing a hangover from the writer/actor's strikes and covid? If so, what does this mean for the near future?

-How are social media platforms like tiktok affecting the amount of money studios are spending making online content?

-How has the emergence of AI affected the post production world already? How do we think it will affect post production jobs in the future?

-Has the media production bubble burst? (I realize this is a leading question, so if anyone has an alternative take on this, please feel free to share it!)

Please feel free to critique my questions or to ask your own!

Register now, or sign in above, to access exclusive insights, expert connections, global networking, career-boosting tools, and the latest industry news.