Ask the Experts – Do you have questions about the UK Independent Film Tax Credit?

Options
Lloyd Gunton
Lloyd Gunton Member Posts: 10

Thank you for attending this week’s Master Series: Boost Your Budget with the IFCT. It was great to see so many of you in the audience!

60 minutes goes by quickly, so let’s keep the conversation going. Post your unanswered questions below in the comments!

And catch the replay if you missed it, a recording of the webinar will be available soon.

See you at the next Master Series!

Comments

• Matt Richardson
    Matt Richardson Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi,

Great webinar! I just wanted to clarify that if the director is from U.K. but the writer is from U.S. we would still qualify for the credit?

Many thanks

• Lloyd Gunton
    Options

Hi Matt

Yes would would still qualify based on what wee know about the legislation at the moment. You need EITHER a UK writer or UK director or be a qualifying co-production so you would be fine.

• Matt Richardson
    Matt Richardson Member Posts: 2
    Options

got it!

Thanks

• Randy Dannenberg
    Randy Dannenberg Member Posts: 1
    Options

Quick question about intent to distribute. Does it have to be Worldwide distribution or can you say, for example, I will distribute theatrically in the UK? Or if not just the UK can you add country (ies) to qualify?

• Lloyd Gunton
    Options

Hi Randy

The requirement is to intend to distribute and earn a significant portion of earnings. If there was a UK theatrical release with a good number of cinemas and intent to potentially add other territories that would be fine. It does not inherently require worldwide distribution as that may not be realistic for some films, particularly at the lower end of the budget.

Hope this helps. Lloyd

• Gary King
    Gary King Member Posts: 21
    Options

I'm a producer in the US, how would I find a UK production studio for my film project so that I could get the tax credit?

• Lloyd Gunton
    Options

Hi Gary,

Not necessarily my area but I would suggest contacting local film production companies who you could partner with who may be able to help you on that front.

Otherwise, most UK film studios have excellent websites providing all the information you would need along with contact information.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Lloyd

Register now, or sign in above, to access exclusive insights, expert connections, global networking, career-boosting tools, and the latest industry news.