Advice for wardrobe assistants

Options
Liz Phillips
Liz Phillips Member Posts: 2
edited May 30 in Crew

Hi there, what are the traps for 'young' players in a wardrobe assistant role on set. I've done a lot of wardrobe/costume for stage productions so want to know what is different for film. I'm keen to avoid as many mistakes as possible. Describe the behaviour of the ideal wardrobe assistant on and off set (would love all perspectives ranging from wardrobe lead, actors, producers, director, continuity people). Any helpful tips please. Thanks in advance. I am located in Sydney, Australia

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Kate Kelly
    Kate Kelly Member Posts: 2
    edited May 30 Answer ✓
    Options

hi Liz, if you worked in live theatrical productions, the lingo is a tad different in tv/film wardrobe departments. In NYC we use the different terminology. If you are not part of the local union, a wardrobe/costume assistant is usually a wardrobe production assistant.

In tv and film different positions have different names, wardrobe supervisor of course, truck costumer, key set costumer - is charge of continuity, specific skill set working with the core main actors, usually reports directly to the wardrobe supervisor and costume designer( its like a star dresser). Set costumer works with actors principles or background. Shop costumers/supervisor, tailor/ sticker, Ager /dyer. The wardrobe department is very diverse

• Kate Kelly
    Kate Kelly Member Posts: 2
    edited May 30 Answer ✓
    Options

your welcome Liz,

I got my start in Lort theater then Broadway. There was a little learning curve with the jargon, lingo. The hours are longer and stagger as the week progresses.you have erratic call times. On the plus side, you get well compensated working in film/tv. Id rather work some hard erratic days. Than do the same track every day in a theater production. From my standpoint.more multi tasking in a fast paced environment. Wrap means strike in film lingo.

Answers

Register now, or sign in above, to access exclusive insights, expert connections, global networking, career-boosting tools, and the latest industry news.