What's one thing you wish you learned about in film school?

Options
Natalie Nelson
Natalie Nelson Administrator Posts: 81

We don't always learn everything we need to know in school. What's one thing you wish your courses covered that you learned about outside of the classroom?

Best Answers

• Daniel Selbrede
    Daniel Selbrede Member Posts: 3
    Answer ✓
    Options

I wish I learned more about all the different positions out there. I imagine most schools have classes on camera/sound/editing like mine did, but so few about about everything else, especially pre and post production.

• Allie Keller
    Allie Keller Member Posts: 3
    Answer ✓
    Options

How cool it can be to work in the office too. Most of my film instructors were from the camera and G&E departments. I have loved working in the office just as much as on set but they taught us that being relegated to the office was a type of punishment. Also how to figure out clicks for timecards. That was a bit of a curve ball.

Answers

• Carlos Martinez
    Carlos Martinez Member Posts: 4
    Options

just overall networking and where to get positions.

• Corey Sienega
    Corey Sienega Member Posts: 59
    Options

It's been a long while since I was in film school, but one tip that I share for those wanting to be producers is to cultivate filmmaker/writer/director relationships early. Read your friends'/colleagues' scripts, watch their short films, help out, stay in touch. Christine Vachon and Todd Haynes met in film school. Find like-minded artists to work with among your peers, don't just focus on the relationships you think will get you ahead. It's the greatest feeling to rise up with your friends.

Register now, or sign in above, to access exclusive insights, expert connections, global networking, career-boosting tools, and the latest industry news.